Thursday, July 24, 2008

Computers for Afterschool

Which is a good computer to buy for your afterschool program? This was the question I asked myself a few months ago while setting up my own afterschool program. There are several interesting options to look at:

The One Laptop Per Child program in India is now spreading to new locations. There are 6 pilot locations in the states of Maharashtra, UP, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka.

The use of thin client computing is also spreading. See this article for an idea of what this is about.

Free and open source software has much to offer. For starters there is the linux operating system Edubuntu created for use in educational settings.

But finally what matters (in my view) is what you do with the machines (whatever they are). I know schools and organizations where computers are used more as glorified type writers. You use it for nothing more than typing and formatting text - that too in the most mundane way possible. So choose any computer that your pocket can comfortably allow - spend time and energy on stocking it with the right software and on designing good activities and projects around it.

As for my afterschool centre, I chose standard PCs - but what I've stocked them with is super-standard!

No comments: